The Last Detective - Nardizzi Inc.

Breaking news - Worcester Superior Court - Hit on a DNA sample in 1979 murder case,

Breaking news - Worcester Superior Court: Hit on a DNA sample in 1979 murder case. The New England Innocence Project, assisted by investigators at Nardizzi & Associates Inc., announced Friday they are seeking Gary Cifizzari’s release pending a new trial after DNA evidence linked a deceased Rhode Island man to the murder of Constance Schiappa in 1979.

DNA matched that of Michael J. Giroux, an Army veteran who was drinking at a bar just minutes away from Schiappa's apartment in downtown Milford on the night of the murder. Nardizzi's investigation revealed that Giroux went on to lead a life of deceit— a bank robber and conman who committed crimes throughout his life, including murder, armed robbery, and who stole money from friends and family. Moreover, Giroux was also a State Police and FBI informant. He was interviewed by police just days after the murder of Mrs. Schiappa. Police missed signs of Giroux's culpability and instead focused on the Cifizzari brothers, Gary and Michael.

Jury rejects murder charge, finds teen guilty of manslaughter Jury rejects murder charge, finds teen guilty of manslaughter Jury rejects murder and finds manslaughter charge

Lowell teenager Billeoum Phan, now 16, was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter for the shooting death of Samnang Oth, 21, of Chelsea. Phan was the one of the youngest defendants ever in Massachusetts to face a murder charge.

According to police reports, at approximately 11:18 p.m. on August 12, 2006, Lowell Police responded to 40 Royal Street in Lowell for reports of shots fired.

Although the initial investigation determined that a gang-related fight broke out at a birthday party at the Royal Street residence, the defense investigation showed that the police failed to interview dozens of witnesses. Moreover, several witnesses were called by Phan to testify to the terrifying specter of rocks and bottles raining into the first floor apartment, where several young women, including one pregnant woman, sought shelter. The defense argued that Phan was acting in self-defense when he fired the gun and hit Oth.

Defense counsel Jack Cunha represented Phan, with John Nardizzi leading the defense investigation.

The judge sentenced Phan to DYS custody until the age of 21 for the voluntary manslaughter conviction. Then Phan will have a suspended five-year state-prison sentence and probation after his release.

Client acquitted in Mattapan case

Acquittal in murder case: After 15 months of intensive defense investigation, a jury found our client not guilty on all charges in the murders of four people, including a two-year-old boy and his mother, during a robbery in September 2010. The Boston Globe and Boston Herald reported on the intense pressure facing families of both the victims and accused during the 6 week trial.

The defense investigation focused on the role of Kimani Washington, a career criminal whose story about participating in the armed robbery but leaving the scene before the murders, never made sense to most court observers. Eyewitness accounts described a silver/gray SUV with blue license plate driven by a bald headed man racing from the scene -- a match to Kimani and a Ford Edge he stole from a victim. Moreover, Kimani’s story changed repeatedly. Evidence showed he held a grudge against his cousin Edward Washington and had slashed his face with a cane--a stark contrast to his description of their relationship as “beautiful”. Defense lawyers Jack Cunha and Helen Holcomb were able to use the evidence to thoroughly impeach Kimani at trial. They also pointed to mistakes such as the Boston Police arresting Kimani just a few hours after the murders, holding keys to a silver SUV--but incredibly, failing to test him for gunpowder residue. Photos of the SUV were taken by some of the police-controlled security cameras dotting Mattapan, but they were not preserved by police.

Kimani later fled to New Hampshire where he was arrested. This case illustrated most graphically the problem with rewarding a cooperating witness of Kimani’s ilk with a deal that cut decades off a prison sentence for murder, if he had faced a jury.